12.21.2011

How I Found Religion Through Science

A long time ago, when I first heard the statistic that human beings only use x% of their brain (4, 10, whatever), I had a bit of a daydream. I thought it would be remarkably awesome if while we were here living our lives using that tiny percentage of our brain, the rest of our brain was off in the universe somewhere building our afterlife. Shortly thereafter I dismissed the daydream as just a daydream - but I've since grown spiritually quite a bit.... and I think I was onto something. What's more, I think our current understanding of science backs me up on this.

Growing up in the United States, I was exposed to quite a few different religions. Most of them were one flavor or another of Christianity; Catholicism, Baptist, Pentecostal, Mormonism, etc. Of course, I was also exposed to Buddhism, Judaism, Atheism, and if you want to count it, even Agnosticism.

The thing that I came to believe over time was that if God exists, man had undoubtedly gotten it wrong somewhere along the line. If the Christ people were right, Judaism was wrong. If the Pentecostals were right, the baptists were wrong. If the Buddhists were right, Catholics were wrong.

So, hating to be wrong, I adopted the belief that the only right answer was 'I don't know' - and I've considered myself agnostic ever since..at least until recently. I spent the better part of my youth and the early part of my adulthood in a little town in Oklahoma - Altus, Oklahoma. We didn't have too much religious diversity there, but we did have several different flavors of Christianity. So, having adopted agnosticism, it was worthwhile for me to have an answer when questioned by Christians with: What if you're wrong?

Fancying myself clever, and knowing enough about what the bible had to say to back it up, the answer I had for myself and them became: If I'm wrong, and there is definitely a God above who will judge me for the way I lived my life and the beliefs that I held on Judgment Day, I trust his judgment. After all, if the all-knowing creator who knew the number of hairs on my head while I was in the womb was doing the judging, he would very well know why I believed what I believed - he made me this way. He would also know what I would have had to experience for my beliefs to fall in line with whatever the correct faith was - and if he chose not to send those experiences my way...well, that was his call to make. While certain Christian's beliefs led them to believe that I would surely be sent straight to hell for not believing as they did, that was their judgment - and I had decided that if God exists, his judgment would be much more loving, fair, and wise. So I carried on like that for many a year, without fear of eternal damnation and just a tiny measure of faith.

Recently however, that view has changed in a very fundamental way....



So, without further ado - and in no small part because I like the sound of it, I present you with:

The Core Belief Structure of:
The Church of Grim
Now, since I've decided to go ahead and make this a religion, I want it to provide for people the same major things that most other religions provide for people: A set of guidelines to live by to attain the happiest and most fulfilling life possible, and an explanation of the nature of the universe.

The guidelines to live by are as follows:
I. Interact with others as you would want them to act if your roles were reversed
II. Be intolerant of intolerance
III. Be VERY careful what you choose to believe

I. I don't think anyone has a problem with anyone else trying to live their life by this one. My basis for that is almost entirely the contents of what's in Wikipedia at present in The Golden Rule at present - but as it's Wikipedia I understand it's contents may be different when you click the link than they were when I wrote this. At present it essentially says pretty much everyone agrees it's the way to go:
The "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic" from the Parliament of the World’s Religions(1993) proclaimed the Golden Rule ("We must treat others as we wish others to treat us") as the common principle for many religions. The Initial Declaration was signed by 143 respected leaders from all of the world's major faiths, including Baha'i Faith, Brahmanism, Brahma Kumaris, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Indigenous, Interfaith, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Native American, Neo-Pagan, Sikhism, Taoism, Theosophist, Unitarian Universalist and Zoroastrian.
II. This one I lovingly refer to as 'my favorite hypocrisy' - because technically if you're intolerant of intolerance you wouldn't tolerate your own intolerance of intolerance. That being said, I think rules to live by are really 'rules to try to live by', so we can forgive ourselves for the one hypocritical failing to adhere.

This one probably won't be as well loved as the Golden Rule, as being intolerant sometimes requires an active role and a measure of selflessness - and I suspect many trying to avoid that activity would justify doing so by citing the Golden Rule and saying "I wish others would mind their own business and not interfere with my behavior."

Adhering to My Favorite Hypocrisy, however, will sometimes require that you do interfere with the behavior of others. To illustrate My Favorite Hypocrisy, let's add a parable, I like parables from other religions, so the Church of Grim should have one too.

One day, a Grim Apostle and two Grim Acolytes were at high school when they come across a physically large boy bullying a physically small boy. Sensing a teaching opportunity, the Apostle spake unto the Acolytes, thus saying: "By the Tenets of the Church of Grim, we should intervene. Acolytes, tell me why."
The first Acolyte answered: "We should intervene because of the first tenet, the Golden Rule. If we were the small boy, we would want others to stop the larger boy's torment of us."
The second Acolyte answered: "We should intervene because of the second tenet, the Favorite Hypocrisy. The larger boy is clearly being intolerant of the smaller boy." 
The Apostle then spake: "You are both correct, but even together your answers are incomplete. We must intervene because of the first tenet, both as if were the smaller boy and the larger boy. If you were the smaller boy, you would want someone to end your torment. If you were the larger boy, would you not want someone to stop you from being such a prick?"


III.  This one I don't have a handy nickname for. I've also decided not to fully explain and justify it in the post, for third reasons:
First, my blog entries tend toward the long side anyway, and by the first tenet I'd be wanting me to wrap this up if I were you.
Second, the partial explanation I'm about to give ties in so very nicely with the start of this entry, it'll be an ideal place to stop.
Third, I've decided to look into making this an official church. There are great tax benefits for doing so, it opens up the door for me to feel justified in accepting donations, and I really think the world would be much better place if everyone converted to this belief system.

I will explain and justify the third tenet this far:
Science has shown us that the material world is dependent on the observer - that atomic particles are simultaneously in every possible location and tell you observe them, at which time they conveniently choose a location in which to be observed.
I choose to believe that science has or will show that the observer, on an non-conscious level, greatly influences the location the atomic particles choose to be observed. In essence, that the observer is creating the world around him/her on a non-conscious level, and further that the observers beliefs operate at least partially on that non-conscious level. What you believe, even if you aren't consciously aware you believe it, defines the universe we exist in.
The reasoning continues: If your beliefs create the universe that defines your mortal existence, there is a damn good chance your beliefs define what comes after your mortal existence.

When this became reasonable, it shattered the very foundation of the belief system that had taken me from my late teens to my early thirties. The assumption that 'if God exists, man had undoubtedly gotten it wrong somewhere along the line' no longer held up to scrutiny.

If our beliefs define our afterlife, then the Catholics can be right, the Buddhists can be right, the Atheists can be right, the Mormons can be right, and the Agnostics can be right. Though I personally recommend the Agnostics append "- but it's gonna be awesome" to their "I don't know" belief system.

If everyone defines their own afterlife, just as they define their own hairstyle, then everyone is right - at least if their conscious mind knows what they truly believe. The Catholics will go to heaven, hell, or purgatory, depending on where they believe deep down that they're going to go. The Atheists will fade into nothingness, just like they've always believed.

Though the notion might offend some of you, if suicide bombers truly believed they'd have seven virgins waiting for them afterward - they probably did.

This is why you should choose what you believe VERY carefully: You'll be right. The only people we really need to worry about are the ones that believe they're going to hell/going to have a crappy afterlife.



6 comments:

  1. Very interesting.....
    I was raised in the same small town in Okla. and around the same small town religious beliefs. I decided long ago to believe what I felt was right, not what "they" told me was right.
    I believe in God. I believe there is an afterlife where you will be judged. I believe in Heaven and Hell. However, I do not believe that God says things such as dancing are sins, like my Southern Baptist upbringing says, or any of the other inconsequential interpretations of the Bible by every other religion in the world. Would an almighty being be that fastidious? I mean can you even imagine going to Hell for dancing?!!?
    Finally…. the whole reason I wanted to comment on this was the title. Growing up I was told that you either believe in God or science. I think that is a bunch of crap. Why can't you believe in both? Just because we now have the science to explain the miracle, does it make it less of a miracle?
    I believe that science PROVES there is a God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a problem with Rule I, and it is the same fundamental problem that exists in most variations of the Golden Rule.

    Tastes differ.

    If you were the type that likes a good fist fight and you'd want people to come up to you and hit you, Rule I could be used to justify going around punching people in the face for no reason.

    Also, most variations of the Golden Rule demand action and kind of imply that one must do something, when sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing at all...inaction. (For example, sometimes problems are made much worse by people that don't know how to stfu and mind their own business.)

    And Rule I also leaves out the one person in which you are most likely to do the greatest harm...yourself.

    And it doesn't consider that which is not a person...animals, plants, the environment, etc.

    And what about "crimes of thought"? This is something many don't even consider until it gets out of control and manifests itself into harmful actions. And "crimes of thought" against oneself can do more damage than any action by another person. It would be far better to catch it and nip it in the bud, way before it gets to that point.

    Perhaps Rule I should be revised to this:

    I. Think no thought, speak no word, and do no deed, that harms yourself, others, or the world you live in.

    Yes, it is an impossible rule to live by, and it requires almost constant self-examination, but it is one that is worth trying your best.

    The constant self-examination involved is one of the paths to wisdom and enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is not science can prove to one of us, is what we can prove to science and we do it daily. Who are scientists? Humans. Normal people like us, but they like to study into science. We have so many areas were one can develop. But if you see this system of beliefs and you do not see the need of something greater than science, than consciousness, than that something is GOD, ALAH, BUDDHA or what ever the religious would name a state or a way of the righteous one. We need to know how to heal us, treat us right and respect us. We are missing basic feeling of nurturing to one each other, we lost contact with animal world, with living world. Our fours walls we sit in between are delimiting and are forming what ever your mind will slit at this age, in this day and moment. Each work his own way, based on his relation to environment. A man living in nature, and among animals, knowing as basic as need it to survive, would be closer to GOD. We living between walls of concrete, and bares of metal. We are those loosing the contact with GOD, and not only that we loose it, we do not meet him, because depending on culture were you are grown, other things occur in.

    Note: I was born as one who disliked the taste of meat. No one in my area focused on this particular need I feel. So I was forced by my environment to eat, what ever they would have. This leaving me with 25 years from were I was leaded by someone's else will and need. Not by my own. Now I had to change it, my energy aligned all required to do so, and now I live free of meat, and I am on the path I had, once deviated from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +App - It's a rule to live by, not a justification. If you find yourself using it to justify an action, it's likely you've upset someone and didn't think it through.

    For example, take your first example. Just because you want someone to punch you in the face doesn't mean the other person does. If roles are reversed, you're the other person not you. Therefore you should interact with them in the way you think THEY want to be interacted with.

    Also, there's no reason 'others' wouldn't include animals, plants, etc.

    I'm a fan of self-examination, but doing no harm does not ensure that you're doing any good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. +Viorel The divine is everywhere, including inside you. One need not go into nature to be closer to god - there is divinity inside you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember what I said about differing tastes? People also tend to think that everyone thinks like themselves, because that's the only thought perspective they really have. And those that show evidence of thinking differently are often regarded as being weird or abnormal because it doesn't fit their own thought pattern.

    This is why cheating husbands often accuse their faithful wives of cheating. It's the thought pattern they live in and they project it on everyone else.

    'Others' doesn't include plants and animals to anyone that wouldn't think it does, naturally. Which is why it has to be explicitly stated.

    Do you know how much good would be done in this world simply by everyone not dong any harm?

    And remember what I said about wisdom and enlightenment? Doing good comes from understanding that by not doing good, sometimes you are doing harm. And also the wisdom to know that doing good doesn't always do good. Sometimes it causes harm. There are an awful lot of people out there hurting because of the actions of do-gooders.

    Not hurting is a good start...then doing good without hurting.

    ReplyDelete